I just came across something I wanted to share. Socialnomics.com recently posted a very powerful video, “Social Media Revolution”, highlighting figures from Erik Qualman’s book on how social media transform the way we live and do business.
Being a part of industry, it comes as no surprise that the popularity of social media is rapidly increasing. Nevertheless, many numbers and trends were surprisingly staggering.
Here’s a summary of the most interesting facts and numbers:
- Social media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the web
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media
- Years it has taken for each media to reach 50 million users:
- Radio: 38 years
- TV: 13 years
- Internet: 4 years
- iPod: 3 years
- Facebook: 100 million users in less than 9 months
- Ashton Kutcher and Ellen DeGeneres have more Twitter followers than the entire population of Ireland, Norway and Panama
- 80% of Twitter usage is on mobile devices. People update anywhere, anytime.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world with more than 100,000,000 videos.
- There are over 200,000,000 blogs and 54% of bloggers post content or tweet daily.
- 25% of search results for the world’s top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content.
- 24 of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing record decline in circulation
The video might even have the social media sceptics doubt. The effect social media has, and will continue to have, on society, consumers, businesses and employees is more apparent than ever before. Organizations in all industries should embrace all that the Internet has to offer, start making the most of the social media phenomenon, or risk missing the boat completely. Read previous blog covering the costs of blocking Internet usage
“We no longer search for the news, the news find us…In the near future we will no longer search for products and services, they will find us via social media…”