This blog will look at the best report templates to use when reporting on an individual user, and how to set up filters to select the right user.
Vantage comes with sample report templates, and two of these reports are the User Activity and the Individual User Activity template. The User Activity template is designed to be used to report on multiple users in a single report, with each user’s activity being shown separately in the report. The Individual User Activity template is designed to be used to report on a single user, or report on multiple users but split each user’s report into its own report.
To filter a report to include only one or more specific users:
1. Go to the Reports section of Vantage, and select the template you wish to use, then click the Generate Report link on the left
2. On the Filters page of the Report Wizard click Add | Field Value Filter
3. Select Summary: Username.
4. If you have imported your organization structure from Active Directory and populated the Usernames Alias, then set the Alias dropdown to Usernames. If you have not done this yet, leave the Alias dropdown set to (no alias).
5. Choose the Include radio button
6. If you have selected the Usernames alias, check the box(es) for the user(s) you wish to report on. If you have selected no alias, click the Add button and type in the username you wish to report on, exactly as it’s shown in your log files, then click OK. Repeat this for any other users you wish to report on.
If you are not sure how the usernames are recorded in your log files, go to the Summaries section and click New Analysis, and choose the Analysis Type as ‘ad-hoc’. When the analysis completes click on the Usernames link to see the format of the usernames.
To find out more about importing your Organization from Active Directory and converting this to aliases please view our video tutorial on Organization Setup.
If you wish to run the Individual User Activity report to report on multiple users, but split each user’s data into its own report:
1. After following the steps above go to the Documents page of the Report Wizard and check the “Create a separate report document for each” checkbox.
2. Set the Summary as Usernames; set the Alias as Usernames if you have set this up, or leave it as (none) if you have not.
3. Leave the Having Column dropdown as (none)
1. Whenever you make changes to a report template, on completion of the changes, click Return To Reports on the left, then click the Save Templates link to make a copy of your changes, before running the report.
2. When you run the report, use a test storage, with only a very small amount of data in it. This will allow the report to complete quickly, and let you see whether the changes are what you expected. If they are, then you can run the report on your entire data.